Monday 4 December 2017

Review:: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo + (Made in France)

This is a translated version. The original post was written 3 years ago.

21 November 2014

Hi guys,

On the blog today is a spot treatment product that has been raved about so much recently:

 La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo [+]

Please note there are two versions, one in the US and the other in Europe/Australia with different active ingredients. Mine is the Europe version (made in France) with salicylic acid.

Usage
"Apply to whole face morning and/or evening after cleansing skin with Effaclar Foaming Gel."
I followed the instruction and used it twice a day for about a month, then reduced to once a day in the evening due to adverse reaction.



Packaging
The product comes in a 40ml tube with a very small nozzle making it very hygienic and easy to get the desired amount.


Ingredients

Aqua/ Water, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Isocetyl Stearate, Niacinamide, Isopropyl Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Silica, Ammonium Polyacryldimethyltauramide / Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Zinc PCA, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Isohexadecane, Sodium Hydroxide, Myristyl Myristate - 2-Oleamido-1, 3-Octadecanediol, Nylon-12, Poloxamer 338, Linoleic Acid, Disodium Edta, Capryloyl Salicylic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Polysorbate 80, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Salicylic Acid, Piroctone Olamine, Parfum / Fragrance.

I'm not a savyy about ingredients, but looking at this list, I can see some familiar names:
- Glycerin: a humectant, commonly used in skincare, low risk of irritation
- Niacinamide: vitamin B3, well known for its ability to brightening and even out skin tone, reduce pigmentation and acne scar, help with appearance of enlarged pores and fine lines etc.
- Salicylic Acid: the BHA that can penetrate into the pores and exfoliate both inside the pores and skin surface, hence preventing pores from clogging up and accelerating new cell growth. Salicylic Acid also has anti-inflammatory property, and is a very popular ingredient in acne treatment products.

This product has some sort of chamomile fragrance which is quite soothing honestly. However, I'd prefer a fragrance-free product as my skin is quite sensitive.

The product itself
This product is a white lotion, not gel-like but not too runny. It absorbs really fast, leaving a dry, matte finish. I just used a teeny tiny bit on each of my cheeks, forehead and chin, so about half the size of a corn kernel for whole face.


La Roche-Posay claims this product "corrects the appearance of imperfections, unclogs blocked pores [and] fights against marks". Before buying this product, I've done some research and seen mix reviews about it. And some people experience severe breakout/purging after using it.

My experience with this product is quite horrible.

In the first couple of days, nothing happened. In fact my skin felt smoother and makeup went on more even, this is probably due to dimethicone as it can smooth out skin. The real thing kicked in after day 3, and last for about 1.5 month. I suffered severe break out together with dry flakes around my nose. I got new pimples EVERYDAY, on my cheeks, jawlines, chin, forehead, around my mouth etc. I thought it was just purging, so I was pretty calm and kept using and wait...

After 1.5 months, my face was like a mess with new red angry pimples and pigmentation and scar from old acne. I decided to stop, and within 2 weeks, things improved a lot, much less pimples and old ones started to heal.

I've tried it one more time and same story happened. My skin just hates this product.

Note that it took my face over a year to recover from this experience, and my skin becomes very weak and much more sensitive after this.

Price
The full price is $27.99, however I bought it for $16.79 in a 40% off skincare sales at Priceline.

Buy again? Recommend?
I guess you know my answer. Big NO NO. I know some people love and swear by this product from La Roche-Posay, just unfortunately I'm not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment