Saturday 9 December 2017

My Foundation Mini Collection

28 March 2015

Hi guys!

On the blog today is a review of 5 foundation products that I've been using recently. Let's get started.


Maybelline Dream Pure BB 8-in-1 BB Cream (for oily skin)
I have this BB Cream in the shade Medium which has a slightly yellow base. Even though it looks pretty dark when squeezing out of the tube, it goes on a bit lighter than my actual skin tone, so I guess it would fit someone in the NC 20-25 range. 
  • Low coverage and not really buildable - it can get cakey if layering too much
  • Not very long lasting - it's ok for 3-4 hours, but will start to melt after 6 hours
  • Price: $15.95 for 30ml, but you can easily get it for 30-50% off at supermarkets or pharmacies
Some pros and cons:
Pros:
  • I like the packaging, it is lightweight enough to pop in my handbag. The tube also makes it easier to get the required amount, and more economical as you can squeeze out the last drop.
  • It is a lightweight BB-cream
  • Has an SPF of 15
  • Does not oxidise
  • Has a dewy finish - this is a pro for me as I don't like matte foundation
  • Contains 2% Salicylic Acid - actually I don't think it does anything for my skin 
 Cons:
  • Like most BB cream, there are only 3 shades to choose from: Light, Medium and Dark
  • It does not dry completely
  • Even though it is for oily skin, it doesn't control shine really well and would require some powder to set.

Maybelline FitMe Foundation 
(later renamed to FitMe Foundation Dewy & Smooth)

I bought this foundation on impulse without knowing it is for normal to dry skin. I have two shades 120 and 125.
  • This is a low to medium coverage foundation and can hide small imperfections. 
  • As it is not suitable for my skin type (oily/combination), on my face it can only stay for about an hour and then starts to melt and oxidise into very funny orange colour.
  • Price: $18.95 for 30ml, but you can easily get it for 30-50% off at supermarkets or pharmacies
Some pros and cons:
Pros:
  • Has a variety of shades to choose from - at the time of writing there were 10 shades available in Australia. The shade 125 Nude Beige suits my NC25 skin tone quite well.
  • Has an SPF of 18
Cons:
  • The packaging is a glass bottle without a pump. Given the runny texture of this foundation, it is extremely messy and hard to get the exact amount you need.
  • Not long lasting and oxidises pretty quickly
For reference, the shade 120 Classic Ivory would fit someone in the shade MAC NC 20, while 125 Nude Beige would fit NC 25.

MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF15

I don't know why... for some reason I got this foundation in the wrong undertone, even though I did have a test at the MAC counter at Sydney airport (???). Blame the exhaustion after a long haul! I got this one in the shade NW 25 while my true colour is NC 25.
Anyways, I love this foundation (except for the wrong undertone). It has medium to high coverage, buildable, long lasting, lightweight and has a natural matte finish.
The retail price is $49, but because I bought it at the airport, I only paid $39.

Some pros and cons:
Pros:
  • Has a broad spectrum SPF of 15
  • All the properties I mention above: buildable, long lasting, lightweight and has a natural matte finish
  • Medium to high coverage, meaning a little goes a long way
  • Easy to blend
Cons:
  • The packaging is an opaque glass bottle without a pump. You don't know how much is left in the bottle, and no pump means it can get messy.
  • Has a strong smell when open. Note that the smell doesn't linger, so I don't bother too much.
Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Combination/Oily Skin

This is one of my favourite foundations. It has a medium-high coverage, satin finish, long lasting and lightweight on the skin. I have this in the shade Sand Beige which is a bit lighter than my skin tone. I usually mix this Revlon foundation with the MAC foundation above at 3:1 ratio and it works well.
The retail price is $35 for 30ml, I bought it at Priceline at 40% off.

Some pros and cons:
Pros:
  • I love the packaging, it is lightweight, and it has a pump!
  • Has an SPF of 15
  • Medium to high coverage, buildable, with very natural satin finish
  • Quite long lasting. Even though I've never had this foundation on for 24 hours, I would say it is good for up to 6-7 hours in hot summer weather, or about 9 hours in winter.
  • Very lightweight and comfortable to wear
  • Has 9 shades to choose from
Cons
  • Honestly I couldn't think of anything, maybe Revlon is a bit pricey for a drugstore foundation

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation
I have this foundation in the shade 53 Light Beige which is a bit darker than my actual skin tone. The shade 52 Vanilla, however is too light. This foundation has a very strong yellow undertone and would definitely suit warm skin tone.

This foundation has low to medium coverage with dewy finish and is pretty long lasting. The retail price is $32 for 30ml but I only paid about $22 (30% off).

Some pros and cons:
 Pros:
  • The bottle has a pump
  • Dewy finish, skin looking very healthy
  • Lightweight and comfortable to wear
  • Long lasting, good for about 6 hours without touching up
  • Lovely apricot smell
Cons:
  • No SPF
  • As it has low to medium coverage, this foundation would not suit skin with lots of imperfection
  • Has a limited range of shades to choose from. In Australia there are only 6 shades (from 51 to 56).


I hope this post helps in choosing the right foundation for you. See you in the next post!


No comments:

Post a Comment